I used to love to cook all the time, but after having two kids, it has become more difficult and more of a chore to cook dinner every day. But one thing that I manage to do almost everyday is cook breakfast. Whether it is muffins, waffles, breakfast tacos, or scones, for some reason it is less stressful and I enjoy it more. This past weekend was no exception. I used my base scone recipe to create these red, white, and blueberry scones and they were SO good. I seriously ate 4 of them. And then I felt guilty.... But I am a bread and pastry girl. I will take a croissant over a bowl of ice cream or bar of chocolate any day.
These scones have fresh strawberries mixed in and are served with a warm blueberry sauce and could not be more easy to make.
For the Scones (adapted from Martha Stewart Raspberry Scones):
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar then whole milk to fill 3/4 of a cup or 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Strawberries sliced
- 1 TBSP sugar for dusting on the tops
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen organic blueberries)
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam